Skip to main content

To Work or Not To Work?


One morning, after my usual trip to the grocery, I saw my neighbor Nadya, a Taiwanese lady in her 50s who exudes nothing but confidence, grace, and friendliness. We had a chat about usual things that moms talk about, and before we went to say goodbye, she asked me if I was working. I said that I stopped the minute we decided to migrate to this country. Though she is aware of my predicament, she strongly encouraged me to go back to work. She smoothly laid out all the reasons for working again as if she mentally prepared for it overnight. That is how articulate she is! Needless to say, she said that it is a good idea to go back to work for the following reasons:


  1. I can't be off the market for a long time. Otherwise, younger and “fresher” people will be more marketable to employers. 

  2. I need to be prepared for the worst. She mentioned that when she gave birth to her 2 kids, she was unemployed for 5 years before deciding to work again. Good thing she did, because a few years after, her husband died. Without her income, she would not have been able to attend to her family’s needs. 

  3. My daughter needs to see that she has a strong and independent mother. In this way, she will be empowered to be one when she grows up, as well. She said that I can easily hire a nanny when I need to work and my daughter is at home from school. 

  4.  It is good to have my own bank account in case something comes up. Though he has a high regard for my husband, she shared that she knows a number of local women whose husbands took off, leaving them with not a single penny for the family. 


I flirted with the idea of going back to work, especially that my daughter is at school for most parts of the day. I continuously prayed for a decision because I know of its huge impact on my family. Working for a few hours each day means that I will sacrifice having home-cooked meals or quality time in the playground or extra snuggle time at night.




God has His way of helping me make a decision. This is me, a year after that much-needed discussion, enjoying the beach for the winter break. I decided to continue working for personal growth and fulfillment. I thank God for the work opportunity that has come my way, as well as for the people, especially Nadya, who helped me reach this point in my life.



Comments

Travel Videos

Popular posts from this blog

4 Things You Must Say to Your Child Every Day

  As parents, we say many things to our kids every day… We give reminders about school, we check if they have done their errands, we ask if they ate healthy snacks, and so on.  But what if I tell you, of all the stuff that we tell our kids every day, there are 4 simple sentences that are essential for us to tell them every day?  Let us start with the first one.   I love you! The most important message that our kids need to hear from us every day is “I love you!”  “I love you without any conditions!” As a parent, it is important to understand that it is our job to love our children unconditionally.  No matter how they show up, tell them “I love you!” Even if they mess up, the message is still the same - “I love you!” Letting our kids know that we love them is such a powerful message that triggers positive emotions and feelings of security.                    ...

6 Habits to Boost Mindfulness

  6 Habits to Boost Mindfulness  To live in the present and to focus our attention to our own thoughts and experiences —- these are the most salient aspects of mindfulness, a state of mind characterized by awareness and acceptance.   Mindfulness has provided people with many benefits. According to Grace Bullock of Mindful.org, mindfulness enables us to live in the present, which significantly reduces anxieties that anticipating the future or reliving the past bring. Also, mindfulness helps us to observe our thoughts, manage our emotions, and control our actions when dealing with difficult situations.  With our aim to become more focused in the present, here are 6 habits that can help us practice more mindfulness in our daily lives. Breathe  We take 10,000 breaths a day, even during our sleep. But the question is, how many of these breaths are we really conscious about? We can practice mindful breathing by focusing our attention on the natural rhythm of our ...

Making Your Microphone Sound Better

  Learn how to make your microphone sound better with these 5 easy steps.  Imagine these scenarios: …  a podcaster with poor sound quality during streams … an online worker with a lot of background noise during presentations … a gamer with poor audio quality during team games These disasters can easily be addressed by making your microphone sound better!  Read through this article to find out how.  Steps on How to Make a Microphone Sound Better  There are many ways on how to improve the audio quality of microphones. This article highlights five of the most important ones that will surely enhance the quality of your recordings.  Microphone Positioning  One of the most important ways of making the most out of your microphone is to position it in a place that will record your voice without interference from any noise source in the room. These are ways on how to properly position your microphone.  Keep it away from the desk   It is reco...